Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Chapter 40 (Conclusion) Liza and the Air Pirates (NaNoWriMo work in progress- unedited)


Chapter 40  

 

The journey back to London was quite different than the journey to Navasaa. Whilst the group of six had crowded into the Generals wicker sedan on the way over, they and a crew of pirates had plenty of room on the large Navassan airship on the way to London. Although the mood was somber with the passing of Henri, there had been a small celebration as John announced that the airship would be renamed The Henri in memory of his late father.

As they approached the other end of the Atlantic Liza and Mary found themselves at the prowl of the airship watching the sun rise. They had spent several days crossing, a pace that felt ti Liza to be interminable.

“Another morning and we are not in the ministry speaking with the war minister.” Liza said, her voice tight.

“I am sure it will be alright Liza, after all we do have the upper hand. Inglessdin has nothing.”

“But he can promise. He is not a success because he is stupid or gives up easily. I just wish I knew what he was up to. I want to have all the facts I can when we make an offer.”

Mary put her hand on Liza’s arms. “Liza, dear, you keep saying ‘we.’ I don’t wish to be rude, but I also hope you are not thinking you will go to the ministry with your grandfather and Will?”

Liza jumped slightly and her eyes lit up. “And why shouldn’t I be there?”

“It is not a matter of should Liza, and you know that. You are as qualified as anyone, but can you imagine if you, a woman, walks in there?”

“What of it. I have just as much right!”

“No doubt, but those crusty generals and MPs won’t think so. They won’t listen to a word you say.”

Liza started to say something but then just looked away, to the front of the ship. Tears began to flow down her cheeks.

“Liza! I’m terribly sorry, I did not mean to make you sad. I just wanted to save you from hurt later on. Oh, I have gone a ruined it all haven’t I?”

Liza turned and forced a smile. “No Mary, you have only talked sense into me. It is just… it is just that I feel I will be lost somehow…”

“How? You have been on an adventure of a life time!”

“That is just it, you see, what happens next?”

“You could write a book about it!”

“Yes, I suppose, but that sounds dreadfully boring. Oh Mary, what will I do? Grandfather, Mot and Will will no doubt be very involved in whatever deal is made. And you will be gone…”

“Me!? Where on earth will I go? Not back to the country house, that is for sure…”

Liza looked at Mary with a puzzled expression for a moment.

“Where will you…?” Liza said, confused, “But I thought you would stay here with John…”

Mary let out a loud bark of a laugh and then clapped her hand over her mouth.

“Oh Liza! Honestly! What make syou think that?”

“The way you two have been mooing about…”

“Mooning? Oh Liza, sweet Liza, no, no. John is quite handsome, I’ll admit. And he does appear to be some sort of king or something, right? A girl could do worse. But… well, he’s not for me. Can you imagine, me, cooped up on this ship, thousands of feet from the nearest shrub or plant? Oh Liza, is this what has been bothering?”

Liza blushed and turned away. She then broke out into a laugh. “Well, I suppose it is. I tell you Mary, growing up most girl friends I have met ditched me for a handsome beau at some point. I just assumed…”

Mary took Liza’s hand and smiled. “Liza, dear, whatever happens, whatever men come between us, we’ll always be friends, I promise. And I will never abandon you. Now, I suppose I should go break the news to John, although, I can assure you, he will be very nonplussed about our break up. I never got any sense from him that he was interested, to be honest!”

 

It was midday when Liza and the rest, including John, alit in the General’s sedan and came out of the clouds to touch back down at the General row house. Very soon everyone was busy making plans up and down the house. The General placed a call to the Ministry and up to the roof to where Liza, Mary, John and Will were busy helping the house maids to unpack the sedan. Moto was working in the sedan on the engine.

“Well, I’ve just spoken to the Minister’s under-secretary. We have a 4 pm appointment with the minister himself. He is very keen to hear what we have to propose.”

“Good news, now you have my write up Grandfather, and John knows what to press for-“

“I am sure we’ll do fine Liza!” her grandfather said, not unkindly.

Liza bit her lip and nodded.

“So, John and Will we’ll meet in about an hour downstairs and I’ll have the driver take us over to the ministry. Don’t worry, I am sure we’ll do a smashing job and get everyone the best deal possible!”

 

30 minutes later Liza was coming down the stairs with a box of tools she wanted to get cleaned. She heard the front door bell ring and the butler answer it. As she headed into her room she heard Mary as well, saying she would see to whoever was at the door.

 

It was then that she heard a large commotion and a short scream from Mary. She dropped the box of tools and ran full tilt down the stairs. She saw the butler in a heap by the wide open door. She vaguely was aware of Will coming up behind her. Liza burst out of the doorway into the street to see a large produce lorry motoring down the street at top speed. Will bounded up beside her.

“What happened?” he demanded, out of breath.

“I don’t know, there was someone at the door, Mary answered it and then screamed. I fear she is in the back of that lorry!”

There was a moaning behind them and Liza turned to see the butler trying to get up on his feet.

“XXXX, what happened?” Liza asked as she helped him up.

“’ Ldy, I’m not sure. I opened the door and a well dressed young man was there asking for Mary. When she came to the door two other men came out from beside the doorway and grabbed her whilst the young man pushed me aside. I tried to stop them…”

“It’s alright…” Liza said with false bravado. She looked up at Will with searching eyes. But Will was bending over, picking something up off the ground.

“What is it?” Liza asked. Will grimaced and handed her a calling card. It has one word on it ‘Inglessdin.’

“That beast!” Liza said. Will nodded.

“No doubt this is part of how he means to stop us. We must go after her.”

“No!” Liza said, surprising herself. “You must go with grandfather and John to the Ministry.”

“But what of Mary?”

“Leave her to me and Moto.”

 

Just then the phone rang and the Butler stumbled towards it, but Liza brushed him aside. She picked it up.

“The General’s Residence.”  She answered.

The voice on the other end was smooth and clam and sent a chill down Liza’s spine.

“I have a message for the General. We have the Colonel’s niece. As long as he cooperates, no harm will come to her. No, listen carefully, tell him to cancel the meeting with the ministry and to wait for more details.”

 The line went dead. Liza turned to see Will waiting.

“Change of plans. Meeting in the parlor right now, get John and Moto, I’ll fetch Grandfather. We have to put off the minister for another day, we have a rescue mission to go on!”

 

 

The End

 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment