Saturday, December 2, 2017

Short Story - Bright Star, Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art

So-
A couple o months ago, this story, "Bright Star, Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art" fell into my head, fully formed. It was all I could do to capture it as it tumbled out of my head. I used a copy editor on eLance (sorry, Upwork) and she loved it (well, I was paying her, what was she going to say?) 
I liked it too.
Clarkesworld and half a dozen other magazines, not so much. But, rejection is normal. Until I got to one, who actually took time to write back. The editor there pointed out that stories that objectified women were a hard sell. 
Wait, what? Me? Objectify women? Never!
But, upon reflection, I realized, of course that is what the story did. I was in denial. 

So, in the interest of both wanting this story to be read, but now kind of embarrassed about it, I land the story here. I don't think I will submit it anywhere else for now. 

------------------------

Bright Star, Would I Were Steadfast as Thou Art


Day 1

The door slid open, making a small phiffft sound. The air inside smelled slightly of ionization, and let off an icy chill that was colder than the room outside. Robert and Dan stopped and looked at each other.
“Day one.”
“Day one. The rest of our lives, buddy.”
“Age quod agis.” Robert muttered.
“What”
“Latin, we must do what we must.”
Dan laughed.
Robert went in first. He was a short, slight man with unruly black hair and freckled skin. He looked permanently nervous or maybe worried as he looked around. The room itself was long and curved, the other end out of sight beyond the bend. Cool white light shone from a curved strip in the ceiling that bent with the room. At regular intervals were rounded cylinders that ran from floor to ceiling. The walls were a sea-blue. The room was clean, sterile, minimal. Robert liked it, especially how quiet it was, unlike the rest of the ship.
“Not so bad,” he said.
“What?” Dan said, pulling up the checklist on his tablet. Dan was taller and heavy set, his head shaved bald. He had a red goatee that desperately needed trimming. “What’s not bad?”
“This,” Robert said, gesturing around them. “Cool, quiet.”
“I know what you mean, brother. You’d think they’d have opened up more of the ship, given a fellow some space to get away eh?”
“Yes,” Robert said as he went over to the first cylinder, tipped up on his feet, and peered through the small rectangle of glass, the window into the cylinder that stood upright.
A sleeping face was barely visible on the other side. Dan tapped his tablet and the window lit up, revealing the face of a young man, his pale skin contrasting with his dark hair, constrained with nylon straps. His body rested against a foam pad.
“So, just like practice, you give him the visual scan, I’ll check his vitals.”
“Sure, like practice, except for reals…” Robert looked at the sleeping man. “Do they dream?”
“Read they don’t. Slowed shit down too much, they’re barely alive.”
“But they are…”
“Yup, and we gotta keep an eye on ‘em to make sure they stay that way.”
“Right. Never could figure why they make us check, when these guys are  hooked up to the main 24/7.”
“Why do they have us do anything?” Dan snorted. “Just to keep us busy, my fellow worker ant. Okay, next.”
Robert and Dan moved a few feet to the next cylinder. The light switched on, and the darker face of a man lit up. Robert scanned it quickly, looking for anything amiss as he had with the last guy—redness, flaking skin, beard growth—anything that might suggest the sleepers were not deep enough in their rest, or that something had gone very wrong. That they might be resting in a new and final way.
“Next,” Dan said.
“Next!”
“Next.”
Robert sighed. His small frame seemed to be getting heavier as they went down the long, curving corridor. “We gotta do all 1000 every day?”
“For the rest of our lives. And our kids lives, and their kids… and their kids…”
“Okay, okay, I know the drill. ‘Cept we don’t have kids.”
“Not yet, but lots of interesting young women on the loading, huh?”
“Yeah, sure.”
“Next.”
Robert moved to the next one and the light came on. Later on, in his imagination, he would swear that the light had flickered, as if to say, Wait.
Wait...
I am special.
The light revealed a young woman with full lips and high cheekbones. Her skin glowed slightly under the bright LED light. Robert stopped and did not dare to breathe.
“Check, next!” Dan swiped a button on his tablet and the light in the cylinder switched off.
“Wait!” Robert said, louder and more urgently than he had intended.
“What’s wrong? What do you see?” Dan asked, a slight panic in his voice as he toggled the light back on. What could be wrong on the very first day?
“Nothing, sorry. Nothing. It’s just that she’s… she’s amazing.” Robert leaned in, as if he could get a better look from closer to the glass window.
Dan stepped up and nudged Robert aside. He gave a low whistle.
“Yeah, she’s a looker. I didn’t know you went for the cinnamon type. There’s this girl you might like in the organizing team—”
“Uh sure, but what about this one…” Robert said, moving back to get a better look.
“She’s frozen, buddy,” Dan said, laughing.
“Huh? No, I mean, what about her? What does it say?”
“Oh, uh… botanist. That’s plants.
“Yes. I wonder what kinds? I used to have a garden with my parents.  Well , window boxes really, but we grew plants.”
“Uh-huh. Says she’s Level two, pretty high up there buddy. Her specialty is Ag studies- farming. Figures, we’ll need that. Says she’s from the Dominican Republic.”
“I don’t speak Spanish.”
“Well, maybe you could learn?” Dan said tilting his head. “You’ve got the rest of your life anyways.”
“Anything else?”
“That’s about it.”
“No name?”
“No names on any of them. Why would we need names? When they wake up in 500 years they’ll know their names. We’ll be long dead. Come on…”
Robert stayed, transfixed, until Dan closed the file, turning off the light.
Robert turned and moved on to the next cylinder. He glanced back briefly.



Day 2

“Sleep well, Robert?”
The two were at the front of the sleep chamber room. Dan was waving his card against the wall as the door slid open with a small phiffft. His eyes were bloodshot and his clothing rumpled. Robert, his hair now neatly, if awkwardly, parted, and his shirt tucked in, fidgeted nervously.
“Yes,” he said.
“Hell of a party. Not sure I can take another 80 years or so of that.”
“People will calm down,” Robert said, stepping up briskly to the first cylinder. “Come on, let’s go.”
“Ok, calm down, just a little hung over. I can’t go too fast...”
Several minutes later, Robert’s heartbeat sped up as they neared her cylinder.
He leaned in and waited.
The light went on and there she was.
“Ah, your girlfriend.” Dan gave a small chuckle.
“She is… Uh, she is beautiful.”
“Yeah, too bad you will be dust by the time she wakes up. Come, loverboy, many more to go.”
“She is like a bright star…”
“Huh?”
“A poem, Dan. Keats.” Robert closed his eyes and recited it:
“Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night,
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient sleepless eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors;
No—yet still steadfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever—or else swoon to death.”

Dan chuckled. “You’re strange man. I don’t understand most of that, but cool. Gotta find you a girl who can  listen to your poetry…”
Robert did not take his eyes away from the window until the light went out.



Day 3

“Ready?” Dan said, his finger hovering above the toggle. Robert waited a beat and then turned to look at Dan.
“Turn it on.”
“Come on, man, she’s frozen.”
“Turn it on!” Robert said, sounding almost desperate.
“Jeez, ok. Look at you, man, you’re hooked. I think we need to get you a real girl. You didn’t even try with Ileena last night.”
“Huh?” Robert answered, not taking his eyes off the face within the steel tube.
“The girl from Organizing. She was hot for you, man.”
“Uh-huh.” Robert still did not look up.
“She was warm.”
“Huh.”
“You know… not frozen?”
“Uh-huh.”
“You gay, Robert? I don’t care, but it would save time if you told me,” Dan said.
Robert looked over, annoyed. “No.”
“Then why… look, why are you obsessed with this… popsicle?”
“Don’t call Bright Star that.”
Dan opened his mouth and then closed it. Robert looked down, embarrassed.
“Bright Star?”
“Nevermind, check it off, let’s go.” Robert did not look up.
“You gotta get over this shit, man,” Dan said flatly, toggling off the light.



Day 45

“You ready for Bright Star?”
“Don’t make fun of me, Dan. I don’t make fun of Neira.”
“Not making fun. You’re weird man, but that’s ok. Wait, what’s wrong with Neira?”
“Nothing.”
“What? Seriously. Sure, she’s a little chunky…”
“And short.”
“But she’s real.”
“Nevermind. She’s fine, check her off, let’s move on.”
“Naw man, take your time. Like I said, it’s ok.”
“Not in the mood.”

Day 60
“Hola. Me llamo Roberto. Me gusta trabajar en el jardín.” Robert whispered to the glass.
“What?” Dan said.

            “Spanish.”
“Oh. Cool, gonna talk to her huh?”
Robert did not answer, but just smiled.
“What did you say?”
“I told her I like to garden. It was fun growing things.” Robert said, turning away as the light went off in the cylinder.
“You could visit Hydroponics.” Dan suggested.
“Uh… sure.” Robert said. He turned and glanced one more time at the now dark cylinder.

Day 205

“Neira’s pregnant, Robert.”
“You sound worried.”
“Naw… I mean, sure. Lots getting pregnant. Two, maybe three others I know.”
“They’ll have to open B section.”
“Doubtful. A’s supposed to hold 3,000. We’re still 500.”
“499. That guy… Ralph, Rolf, whatever,” Robert said quietly.
“Oh yeah, sad man, sad.”
“Will you marry her?”
“Neira? Yaaah, maybe, sure.”
“Good.”
“How’s your girl?” Dan asked.
Robert lingered as they came to Bright Star ’s cylinder. He did not say a word as Dan toggled the switch. There she was, still the same.
“I wonder what she was like,” Dan said, looking at her report.
“Is… is. Yeah, me too.” Robert said. “ I wonder if she liked to go out to the country on weekends? Maybe she lived out in the countryside, out West?”
Robert stood, lost for a moment. “ I wonder…” He hesitated. “They ever… I mean, what if we just…”
Dan looked up, his eyes narrowing a little in concern.
“What if what, Robert?”
“Nothing.”
“No, Robert, what if what? What if we unfreeze her? This what you’re asking?” Dan’s voice was hard now. Ice cold.
“No.”
“Damn right no.”
“Not even for a minute, just an hour? To say hello…”
Dan toggled the switch, the light went off and he stepped to the next cylinder. Robert followed. But a moment later Dan turned back to him, his face red, his jaw hard-set.
“I like you, Robert, you do your shit right and simple. But you ever even mention what you just said again and I will turn you in to Command so fast.”
“No Dan, I didn’t mean—”
“And you know what, Robbie boy? They will never let your ass in here again. Understood? Clear?” Dan was shaking.
Robert looked down at the floor, polished metal with black tread marks running the curve.
“Yes. Clear.”



Day 4747

“Hey, Junior.”
“Hi, Mr. Robert.”
“He is looking more and more like you every day, Dan,” Robert said with a smile as the door slid open. “You here to see what your dad does?”
“Naw, he’s seen that already, remember, Robert? Tell him, son.”
“I have to turn in a report on what my dad does. For school,” said the tall, somewhat awkward 13 year old.
“Are you going to follow in your dad’s footsteps?” Robert said as they approached the first cylinder.
“Someone has to,” Dan muttered.
“You never had kids Mr. Robert?” Dan Junior asked.
“No,” Robert said, looking above Junior’s head, down the long curving corridor.
“You never found a girl, huh Mister Robert? I mean, a real girl.”
“Son,” Dan said, his voice full of warning.
“It’s ok. Never did, Junior. But I have the next best thing. Bright Star. You know about her?”
“Robert, you don’t have to—”
“It’s ok Dan, it’s ok. Look around you, Junior. Lots of kids, lots of people doing what they were supposed to. Your dad and I do our job too.”
“But you don’t have kids. I thought everyone was supposed to have kids, fill up the ship,” Junior said with the glibness that only a 13 year old has.
“Well yes, true, but that doesn't mean everyone has to.”
“Cause you got that Bright Star lady? She ain’t real.”
“She is real, just not… here.”
“Come on, no more talk, we got 1000 bodies to check. Here son, you can check the reports. Just, uh, let me check ‘em afterwards too.”



Day 6709

“Check, next. Bright Star looked nice today.” Dan toggled the next cylinder.
“She always looks nice,” Robert answered.
Dan smiled. “Next.” He scratched at his beard, speckled with gray.
Robert moved in to look through the little window. He drew in a sharp breath and backed away. He turned and vomited.
“Oh crap,” Dan said, punching an alarm button on the cylinder. But it was too late. The person inside, the thing inside, was already gone. A flashing red light lit up the curve. Within a minute a team of medics arrived.
Too late.
Robert was leaning against the wall opposite the cylinder, with his hands against the cool surface and his face in between them, breathing heavily. Dan came over and put his hand on Robert’s shoulder.
“It’s ok, buddy. I double checked, never any issue at all. Something failed overnight big time. Must have shut down the whole thing, never a peep. All these years. I guess I suspected it would happen sooner.”
He stopped. Robert was shaking. Tears rolling down.
“You ok, bud?”
Robert looked up, his faced etched in worry.
“No, no, it’s ok, Robert. We already checked. Remember?”
“It could happen. I-I know you think I’m an idiot, Dan.”
“No—”
“Let me finish. I know you don’t understand about her, and me. I know I’ll be long gone when she wakes up. I just thought… I always knew that she would live on. I kind of like that idea. It… gives me comfort… But if she… if these things fail…”
“Well, that’s our job then, isn’t it? Look, until you die, you’ll get to make sure she is ok. That’s all anyone can do, right? Man, Robert, when I think about my kids… and how one day I won’t be here… I get, you know, I get real down. But what can I do? Just focus on the here and now is all, right? Nothing is forever, man, even one day she will die too. It will be hundreds of years from now on some planet we’ll never see… but she will die. And there is nothing you can do, except take care of her now.”
Robert nodded, wiping his face.
“Come on.” Dan gently pulled his hand away from Robert’s shoulder. “Let’s do what we can for the rest.”



Day 24107

“Hello, Mr. Robert.” Dan Junior greeted Robert outside the curved room. Robert looked up as it momentarily startled.
“Hello, Dan. Who is this?”
“This is Mark, you know him. My son.”
“He is so big!”
“I am almost 25, sir,” Mark said.
“Really?”
Dan Junior glanced nervously between Robert and Mark.
“Mr. Robert, Mark was here last week too. Remember?”
Robert coughed and looked at the two men, his eyes watery.
“Oh. Of course. Of Course.” He looked down. The door slid open with a phift. Mark went in, but Robert grabbed Dan Junior by the sleeve, a worried look on his face.
“Is he… Am I being replaced?”
Dan Junior gave a weak smile. “No sir… I mean, yes, but don’t worry. I checked with command. You can come with us as much as you want. I promised Dad I would make sure you got in here every day, and I aim to keep that promise.”
Robert let out a sigh of relief. 
The two went inside. As they rounded the curve, Robert’s pace picked up. He said nothing, but shuffled along after Mark and Dan Junior.
“Mr. Robert, Mark here moved into the new section B they opened last month.”
“Hmmm? Oh, good.”
“He and Eva had a girl last month, his second.” Dan Junior sounded proud.
“Hmmm. Hmmm.” Robert stood in front of the cylinder, eager, waiting.
The light came on. There she was, soft cinnamon skin, full lips and sculpted cheekbones. Robert smiled, his wrinkled and puckered face reflected slightly in the glass. .
“Her name is Juneko…”
“No… no, it’s Bright Star,” Robert said, more to himself than anyone.
Mark looked at his father with confusion. Dan Junior laughed lightly. “He’s talking about her, Mark.” He nodded towards the cylinder. 
Dan Junior toggled the switch off after a moment. Robert seemed to deflate a little.
“Sorry, Mr. Robert, we gotta move along. There is always tomorrow.”
Robert nodded.
“My little girl, Mr. Robert—Juneko—she’s just a few weeks old,” said Mark lightly. “Maybe you could stop by and see her. I can show you around B.”
Robert looked up. “You have kids?” Mark nodded. “Your grandfather, would be very proud. Great grandkids... great grandkids... it is… great grandkids. Their children’s great grandchildren will never meet this woman. Will never meet Bright Star…”
Robert looked back at the dark cylinder.
“Section B, you say? So many children…”



Day 26384

“I can make it,” Robert said, his voice faint but his hands able to push Mark’s away.
“I just don’t want you to fall.”
“Let him be, Mark.”
Piffft.
Robert pushed a lightweight walker in front of him. It took great effort to move, but he managed. Each step made him wince and after only a few he was winded. But he kept going.
Finally, they were there.
Dan Junior toggled on the light.
Robert turned to the two men. “I just want a moment.”
They nodded and went on to the next cylinder, leaving the light on in Bright Star’s cylinder. .
Robert stood for a very long time in front of the glass, his cheeks wet. Gently, he put his hand on the glass. Beneath it, the woman inside rested peacefully in a deep and dreamless sleep, unaware of the world around her. Her full lips and delicate cinnamon skin seemed to glow in the light.
“Bright star, would I were steadfast as thou art,” Robert said softly.
The light in the window flickered off.




No comments:

Post a Comment