Thursday, January 5, 2017

Chap 27 Liza and the Air Pirates of Navassa (NaNoWriMo work in progress novel -unedited)


Chapter 27

 

Mary let out small gasp.

“Are you afraid?” Henri asked. Mary nodded, and tried to smile. “You should be!” Henri growled, but then smiled, letting out a small chuckle. “But as I said, I am getting old, and perhaps soft. You have nothing to fear as long as you behave yourselves! My family welcomes you on board. Allow me to formally introduce them, behold, the Pirates of Navassa!”

 

Mary smiled and turned to quickly translate for her group.

“Tell them we are honored Mary.” The General said.

“Should I tell them who you are sir?” Mary asked. The general frowned for a second.

“Yes, well why not, in for a penny after all…”

 

Mary turned back, putting on what she hoped was a pleasant smile that said “we’re impressed.”

“Dear Henri, may I call you that?”

“Yes, if I may call you dearest Mary.”

Of yes, of course. I must say it is very impressive to see you all here.” Mary scanned the group of both men and women, all of them as dark as Henri, all dressed in similar loose fitting clothes. “And you must know we have a million questions, but may I introduce our little band to you as well?”

“By all means.”

“This is Liza, she is a dear friend of mine, very pretty but not to be underestimated.”

“What did you say about me?” Liza hissed.

“That you are a wilting wallflower, now sssh!” Mary said with a smile. “You have met Moto, she served in his Majesties Colonial forces with the other two older gentlemen. This is Colonel Thornberry, my Uncle. And this is Liza’s Grandfather, The General XXXX. The last person here is William Cogsworth. We hired him to bring us here, to see if what he saw many years ago really existed, if he really did see people living in the clouds, Le Dyab s you say.”

With that the crowd behind Henri gasped. Henri put his hand up. His face was dark again.
“Le Dyab are our sworn enemies Dearest Mary.” He said in a low rumble. “If you mean to befriend them or even make contact, we will be obliged to treat you as we treat them.”

Mary did not say anything at first as she collected her thoughts. Behind her she heard Liza whisper. “What happened?”

Mary did not answer but instead looked back up at Henri.

“Dear Sir, dear Henri. I, we, do not mean you or your family any offense. We are merely curious. Perhaps you can tell us how you and Le Dyab came to be enemies, so that we may understand? Indeed, if you would do us the great favor of telling us how you came to be here, in the clouds, yourself…”

Henri, who expression had not softened during Mary’s speech, suddenly laughed.

“Yes! Of course! I will fetch our other ships, you will meet my sons and daughters!”

“Other ships?”

“Yes, of course, how could we defend ourselves otherwise! I say, even for a white devil you are very pale girl.”

“Oh yes, sorry, it is just that I-“ and with that Mary collapsed on the deck. Liza rushed up.

“She is over worked! And bleeding again!”

Moto stepped beside Liza and addressed Henri. “Sir, our friend has suffered a bullet wound yesterday, is there a place where we may lie her down and dress her wounds” he managed in halting French.

“Absolutely. She is braver than I thought!” Henri motioned and two of the larger pirates came forward. They were both much bigger than even Henri, muscle bound young men with very serious expressions.

“Remove her and the other girl to my stateroom.”

 

“I must insist I go with them Sir.” Moto said, but Henri put up his hand.

“No, you must stay here. No harm will come to them, you have my word.”

Moto started to object, but then thought better of it.

 

“Where are they taking Mary?” Liza asked.

“Down below, to get rest, go with her.” Moto said.

“You must come with us!” Liza said, trying not to sound panicked.

“They insist I stay here.”

“It is a trap Moto, they mean to hold us prisoner!” Liza said.

“Liza is right!” Will said, coming to her side.

“What can we do?” Moto asked.

“Go Liza.” The General said. “I have no doubt they intend to hold you until they discern our intentions. Therefore, Will, Moto, Colonel, we must do our best to reassure our hosts, no?”

Moto and Will nodded. Liza looked angry.

“Liza, please, this will work out young lady, I will see to it myself.” The general said, as if that settled the matter. And Liza realized that it really did, in a way.  

 

One of the larger pirates had picked up Mary by himself, with little obvious effort. The other held his hand out, motioning Liza to follow Mary. So, reluctantly, Liza followed Mary across the deck tot eh aft and went inside the tower at the rear of the ship. The second pirate closed the door behind them and they were gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment