Monday, January 23, 2017

Liza & Air Pirates Chap 33 (extra long one today)(NaNoWriMo work in progress unedited)


Chapter 33


“Mary!” Liza exclaimed. As she turned to go back down below deck, John shouted “Do not go far, we have much to discuss!”

“Where on earth would I go?” Liza said as she fairly leapt down the hatch to below deck.

Seconds later she burst into the storeroom where Mary, the General and the Colonel were waiting.

“Oh God, are we under attack!” Mary shouted, sitting bolt upright from where she had been lying on the floor.

Liza laughed. “No, no, quite the opposite. We have forestalled an attack.”

“Forestalled or prevented?” The General said.

“I am not sure Grandfather, but at the very least delayed, and most likely prevented. We may have even convinced the Dyab, who are really Arawak Indians by the by, to help us and not Ingellsdin!”

“What in heaven’s name are you going on about?” The colonel said.

“I’ll explain, just know everything is safe for now.”

Liza sat down next to Mary and smiled. “How are you feeling?”

“Never mind me, I am fine, do tell us about what has happened. We kept waiting for gunshots, and…”

 

So Liza told the three all that had happened, trying not to leave out any details. At the end of the story everyone sat for a moment in silence.

“What if the blond man does not get mad? What happens if he convices the Arawaks that we mean to cheat them or attack them?” Mary asked.

“Then it will not go well for any of us!” John said, He had just come down to check on Liza and the rest. “ I am John, son of Henri.”

“You speak very well sir!” The General said.

“He’s been to an American school.” Liza offered. She then introduced the three to John.

“Ah, yes, you are Mary, who I have heard so much about. Adi says you are a strong girl.”

Mary blushed. “Well, I am not so sure about that…”

“We will make you a Navassian yet. Most girls I knew back at the American school would have perished at the mere sight of blood…”

“I think you underestimate women” Liza murmured.

“Oh Liza, he’s just trying to be nice.” The Colonel said “Although John you must know most women don’t mind a spot of blood.” Liza burst into giggles and Mary hit her while laughing herself.

 

Later in the day, after the ship had been returned from a fortress back into a regular ship flying thousands of feet above the ocean, the crew and the six guests-captives were treated to a delicious feast of lobster, fresh fish and many different kinds of fruit. The feast started as the sun began to slip beneath the endless horizon of sky and clouds.

Mary, helped by Liza and Will, came up to the deck. Adi had seen to it that a seat of pillows had been laid out so that Mary could sit. Everyone else wandered the deck, talking in small groups. Moto attracted the largest group, many of them women, Liza noticed. Moto looked very pleased with himself as he held court. Elsewhere the Colonel had indeed discovered Navassan rum and was pickling himself in a corner with a large jug.

The General had been given a seat of honor next to Henri. Liza sat at her Grandfather’s feet as she devoured a lobster, freshly pulled from traps in the ocean below.

“I must say Henri, this is quiet an operation you have here. I commend you on the efficiency of this ship. Spotless, neat and well run. You’d be an asset in the British navy I dare say.”

Henri laughed and held up his glass to toast the General as s slight man sitting next to him translated.

Then the translator began speaking back to the General. Although a cumbersome process, it worked well for the two older gentlemen.

“Well General, Henri says we’ll never know if that were the case. His majesty would like to know, your title, it is not an honorific title, no?”

“No sir! Forty years in her and now his majesty’s army. I served all over the empire too, time in India, Siam, Honduras and even a stint in Cyprus.”

“And your servant, Moto, how did you come upon him, his majesty asks…”

“Oh, Moto is no servant. He is my employee, yes, but more than that. I met him when I was stationed in Zanaibar, bit of trouble with the Germans you know. Moto was a bright chap, when I left the service I offered him a job as my research assistant. Offered him three times his army salary! But I always joke, he does the work of five men, so I actually came out ahead!”

“But what do you mean by research assistant. You are retired no?”

“Well, an Englishman of means never retires. In my travels around the empire I collected many animals specimens, mostly insect mind you. Moto and I have spent the past few years cataloging them and writing them up. Several are altogether new species, from what  we can tell.”

“Then how did you become interested in finding the Dyab sir?”

“Well, we weren’t. That is to say, we had no idea what really was here. Ballooning is a hobby that Moto and I took up, well I should say, he took up and I paid for! But my granddaughter is the curious one. Once she found out about Mr.Cogsworth’s accident, she could not be put off. I am afraid I dote on her too much, but you know how it is with children. Tell me Henri, do you have any grandchildren?”

Henri glanced over at John, who was sitting next to Mary in an animated conversation.

“His majesty regrets that he does not… yet. One day his son, John, or one of his daughters, will marry and he will be a proud grandfather.”

“Well, yes, of course. So, is there a Mrs. Henri?”

“His majesty did not marry, in the English way. But he has several friends.” The translator winked. “Do not be surprised General. We are a small community, there are no secrets.”

The general laughed. “I have seen many wonders young man, tell Henri that I am many years past being surprised, or judgmental. As I said, things seem well run, who am I to complain? So, how big is the community you speak of?”

“We have about 1500 people on many ships. Some more choose to live on the floor, I am sorry, the ground. We have several trading stations, in the rainforests of the Dutch colony, Suriname.”

“Perhaps one day we could see them? Are all your ships the same?”

“Oh no sir, most are smaller, not as nice. This is a newer ship, about ten years old. We have one ship that is over 100 years old. But it is not desirable. We have gotten better as the years go on, about building.”

“Trading stations you say, what do you trade?”

The man translating sat for a moment, Liza noticed he did not translate to the king.

“Oh, you know, this and that. Tell me General, what do you do to earn your bread?”

The general laughed. “Well, I have money, don’t I?”

“So you understand!” The translator said, laughing too. Liza wanted to speak up and say that she did not understand but she held her tongue. Instead she excused herself and got up to walk over to where Will was gazing up at the stars in the clear night sky.

“Amazing, isn’t it Liza… we’re so far up, the stars seem close enough to touch.”

“Well, they’re not, they are still many thousands of millions of miles away…” Liza said as she looked up, trying to locate some of the constellations she knew.

“You’re not exactly a romantic are you…” Will said.

“What? What do you mean” Liza looked directly at Will. His beard had grown out and his hair was uncombed. He looked like a wild man.

“I mean you are practical to a fault. Don’t you ever just want to be impractical, foolish…”

“You mean, act more like what men like you think a girl should act?”

“Men like me…!?” Will stammered for a moment and then visibly relaxed. “No, not tonight Liza… dear… the lobster was too delicious, the rum too sweet and the stars too wonderful. You will not goad me tonight…”

“Standing up to you is not the same as goading Mr. Cogsworth. But I agree, let’s not argue over something as spectacular as the night sky. Everyone is quite happy I think.”

“Including Mary…” Will said, nodding in the direction of Mary, where she sat enthroned on her pillows with John very attentive.

“Yes, well, she does seem to be very interested in what John has too say.”

“Jealous?” Will said, turning his gaze back to Liza. After a beat Liza smiled.

“I am jealous of the conversation she is having, it seems to be witty and intelligent. Qualities difficult to find, it seems.”

“You seem to find me dull then?”

“On the contrary, I find you arrogant and self-involved. I find your attitude towards me insulting-“

“Towards you?”

“At every turn you have underestimated me, you assume I am like the ladies youmeet at some society ball-“

“I can assure you I do not meet ladies at balls, or even attend balls.”

“And… you have a bad habit of speaking over me.”

Will smiled and nodded. “Is it safe now, can I speak? You have been on my back since we met. I think it is you who assume too much Liza.”

“Perhaps. I am suspicious of grown men who live by themselves and yet who are perfectly… acceptable.”

“Handsome, you were going to say handsome, right? Oh come on now! That was a small joke. You just got finished say I was arrogant-“

“Tell me, Will, is there a woman in your life, or perhaps you are a confirmed bachelor? I’ll make no judgment.”

Will turned and looked back at the sky.

“There was… “ He snapped back and gave a small bow. “But that was some time ago. Now, if you will pardon me, I need to go… elsewhere.”

 

Will turned and left, leaving Liza at the rail. Liza watched as he made his way across deck and tehn down below. She sighed. “I’ve had too much rum..” she said to herself and turned back to look at the stars.

 

 

The next morning Liza and the rest, sleeping around the captain’s quarters, were awakened by a sharp knocking on the door. Liza opened the door to find Adi standing there. She brushed past Liza with a chirping ‘hello’ and went straight for Mary.

“How do you feel today Mary?” Adi asked.

“Much better thank you, the broth or whatever you had me drink so much of yesterday seems to have helped a great deal.”

“Good, good. Well, all of you up to the deck as fast as you can, including you Mary.”

“What for?” Liza asked.

“You are all to go to the city of the Dyab. It is a foul and loathsome place, but John has agreed to go with you all.  He is a brave man.”

“So they heard from the blond man?” Liza said.

“I do not know, no one does.”

“So no one knows if they mean us ill or good?”

“No.” Adi said simply

“Well then, it should be an adventure.” Liza said as she picked up her jacket.

 

A half an hour later they were on the deck of the airship looking over the railing at a smaller, but no less elaborate ship tied up next to theirs. The ship reminded Liza as barges she had seen in books about Egypt. It had a large box in the middle, the cabin, she guessed, and graceful curving wood going from each end of the box to the bow and the stern, meeting in a sharp point. The effect was a cabin on a wooden cradle. Above the cabin was a large balloon. The entire boat was painted in light blue with the same white bottom she had seen on all the other boats. Further pointing towards an Egyptian theme were several symbols painted on the cabin that looked like hieroglyphics.

She mentioned this to Mary.

“Oh yes, John was telling me that his father is a big fan of Egypt. They spent several months there last winter.”

“They did what?” Liza said, looking from the barge back to Mary.

“They went to Egypt. Come now Liza, you didn’t think they just floated above that rock all the time? They are in balloons, they can go anywhere… and do. Last night John was telling me that they just got back from a trip to the Canadian wilderness. He ate moose. Can you imagine!?”

“So, you and John get along well do you?” Liza said, he voice had a light tease. Mary blushed.

“It is not like that Liza. You know how curious I am and John has been all over the world. If anything I bored him to tears…”

Just then John himself came up to the two of them.

“It is a fine morning to see you two lovely ladies here. Are you ready?”

“As we’ll ever be.” Liza said. Mary nodded.

“No worries. I will go with you all. My fate will be yours…”

“Our fate, is it that serious?” Liza asked.

“One can never tell with the Dyab. One would have assumed they would have attacked us in the night if they meant us harm, but…”

“Will we be going to their city?” Mary asked.

“Yes, and post haste. Please, climb on board!” John said, turning to face the others as well. A small wooden bridge had been placed on the railing so that they could easily board the floating barge next to the ship.

As they climbed on board they found the box was really just a frame with curtains. John went aout opening the curtains, tying them to the frame as the others found seats, really just cushions on the floor.

“Is it just us then?” The General said as they made themselves comfortable.

“Yes” John said. People do not like to go to the Dyab city. They believe that it has much disease. I am not afraid. I have seen worse.”

Liza looked at Mary, who was visibly paler than even before.

 

They gently cast off and soon were traveling amongst the clouds, Henri’s ship becoming smaller and smaller until a passing cloud obscured in completely. There was little conversation, but the time passed quickly.  After about an hour they caught side of a large cloud bank, but one that, upon closer inspection, seemed to have an straight edge to it. Soon a projecting dock appeared, much as Will had described. A lone figure stood at the end to greet them.

As they pulled closer the figure became clearer.

“Oh God” Liza said. “It is the blond, we are doomed.”

“Patience’ John said as he maneuvered the barge closer. As they got within a few feet of the dock in became clear that there was something wrong. The figure had not moved.

The barge bumped the dock and the figure did move, just enough for the mouth to fall open. It was clear that the figure was supported by a large stick.

Liza let out a gasp and Mary screamed for a second and then slumped over.

The blond man was propped up on the deck by a stick running through his body. John reach out and poked the figure.

“Well, he is lucky!” John said as he made to tie up the barge.

Liza found it difficult to speak, her heart was racing and he stomach was revolting. “L-lucky?”

“He is dead, often they are still alive.”

Liza gripped the edge of the barge hard.

“It is ok Liza” John said as if there was not a dead man arranged like a human kebob staring down at them. “It means that your prediction came true. You have bought a great deal of good will with the Dyab. Be careful not to squander it.”

“I-I wouldn’t dream of it… even in this nightmare.”

No comments:

Post a Comment