Friday, January 20, 2017

Liza and the Air Pirates of Navassa chapter 32 (NaNoWriMo work in rpogress, unedited)


Chapter 32

 

As the animal balloon with the blond and the three Arawaks drifted off, another, much larger balloon and basket settled on the deck.

“What is going to happen, do you know John?”

“Yes, wait and see. The three Dyab we just saw were… diplomats, as it were. They wanted to know why we surrendered.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well, despite our animosity, we have never fought to the bitter end, either the Dyab or ourselves back off. Yes, some may die, but usually very few. Father was right to surrender. It sent a clear message that something was off.”

“But the guns-“ Liza said.

“Yes, well, from our point of view, but the Dyab did not understand that advantage their guns gave them. They have had guns before, very few and often only for a while, until they run out of bullets or the guns stopped working. But it has been years.. At any rate, they figured something was amiss, a trap, they feared. So they sent in diplomats to negotiate. I am pretty sure they figured we would kill them. But my father told them what he knew.”

“But the man, the man from Ingellsdin, he said-“ Will started.

“Yes, I know. I suspect he will be disappointed, in more than one way, before this day is done. Now, here is the king of the Dyab.” John said.

He pointed to the large basket that had now come to rest on the deck of the ship. This time two Arawak came out and carried between them a small folding stool. Then they went back and hlped out a much older Arawak decked out in an elaborate feathered costume, with green and gold colors that seemed to shimmer in the sunlight.

“Bow” John said as he bent down. Liza noticed that Henri had even bowed.

“Why?” Liza asked as she bent forward.

“Because it is we who surrendered, remember? Also, it is customary to bow in front of the a queen no?”

Liza craned her neck to look up. It was a woman, she realized, a very old woman with leathery skin. The woman had a very severe look to her. She stopped just in front of Henri, who was on one knee, his head bent.

Suddenly the woman laughed and said something. Henri laughed as well and stood up.

“They are old friends.” John said, smiling.

“But, just an hour ago, you were promising certain doom!” Liza said.

“Was I? Well, yes, I guess so. But here we do things differently. We are eternal enemies with the Dyab, but that does not mean we cannot be friends too.”

Liza stood for a moment, her mouth open. “Yes it does! Yes, it does, actually, that is exactly what it means!”

John laughed. “Yes, I imagine it is confusing. But put yourself in our shoes instead. We fight amongst ourselves, like a family. And we mean it, as I said, people have been killed. But when outsiders come into the picture, all bets are off. Both fo us know what it is like for us in the outside world.”

“But they said we would die!”

“Purely for the benefit of the white man, I can assure you.”

“All good and well John, but the Dyab, the Arawak, did make some sort of an agreement with Ingellsdin, it seems.” Will said.

“Yes,” John said thoughtfully. “Yes, they did, and we must help them see the error in that, but first we should find out what they did.”

 

Henri motioned John to come up, so John left Liza, Moto and Will.

“Ohhh, I hate being out of the loop.” Liza said.

Will gave a small gasp. “The General!” He said. “They must be very worried. I should go tell them what has happened.”

“Not yet Will. Moto said, putting a hand on Will’s arm. “Wait until things have cleared up. They will be fine.”

“I am sure the Colonel has found their rum supply…” Liza said.

 

After a good half an hour under the blazingly hot sun, Liza, Will and Moto were duly wilted. Liza was about to give up and sat down on the deck in a most undignified way, when John broke with the triumvirate he was in and came back over.

“If the three of you will come with me please. Will, I need you to explain what happened to you, I will translate to Father and the queen.”

 

They walked over to where Henri and the Queen were standing.

“This is her majesty Queen Imoro, her names means the emerald green of the forests at dawn.”

He then introduced Liza Will and Moto to the Queen in the creole language. Liza, Will and Moto did small bows to the queen, who eyed them from beneath her elaborate head set.

 

“Will, please tell her what you know about this Englishman who has offered her people so much riches.”

Will cleared his throat and gave a small smile. “If it pleases, uh, your majesty, I know this man. And not by choice. Several weeks ago he kidnapped me, took me by force, from my home. He tortured me, did horrible things to me that I will not speak of so as to not offend you. But he managed to get from me the location of your people.”

John quickly translated and then turned back to Will.

“How did you come to know of her people, no one has ever found them aside from us?”

“Many years ago I was exploring this region with two other men. We landed on… on.. your island? We did not know, we did not mean any harm, but some of your people chased us. One of my m en fell to his death, the other…”

When John told this to the Queen she grew very animated.

“She says that she remembers this! But you do not explain why you think the white man will cheat her.”

“Tell her he cheats everyone. He is notorious for cheating those he does business with, even other white men. Ask her how white men treat the Arawak and if she will do better than a white man.”

“I do not need to ask. But I will tell her, but tell me, how does he continue. England is a place of law, is it not?”

“For those who are poor yes. But Ingellsdin, he is rich and… to be fair, he delivers. He provides the British army with many weapons. He is an asset to the crown, but he is not to be trusted.”

For some time John and the Queen spoke back and forth. John was quiet for a moment, Henri nodded.

“How are we to trust you Will? Or others in your party? Is Liza’s grandfather not a general in the British army? Perhaps you would like to steal our technology instead of the other man-“

“Ingellsdin?”

“Yes, what a devilish name to pronounce.”

“I understand your questions” Liza said, stepping forward. “We can offer nothing but our word. And as a woman, I offer the queen my word… and my life.”

“Easy to offer when no one is asking for it Liza.” John said, solemnly.

“Yes, I know, well, ask her this, ask her what will be the reaction of the man with blond hair when he hears we have not been killed? I will offer my reaction if she lets the blond man go unharmed- relief. I do not want him killed, but see if he wants us killed. That should give her majesty some insight as to who she is dealing with.”

 

“She will take that under consideration. But she also asks, what you are offering her people. Ingellsdin promised great wealth.”

“Has he delivered?”

“100 gold coins so far.” John translated, he expression was one of shock.

“What has he promised?”

“To cover her majesty in gold coins.”

Liza could not suppress a laugh. She stopped and did a small bow.

“I am sorry to laugh, but while your majesty is not a large woman, there is not enough gold in the Tower of London to cover you in gold. Go ahead, tell Ingellsdin’s man you have spared us, see his reaction, then decide. I cannot promise you anything except that I will negotiate on your behalf with the British government to pay you a fair sum for your technology. If you would have us use it!”

 

The queen nodded slowly.

“I hope, for your sake, Liza, you are right.” John said as the queen made her way back to the basket. “The Dyab do not tolerate fools well. Death by falling is better than what they will do to you if they suspect treachery…”

No comments:

Post a Comment