Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Hare, The Bow and the Girl - Chapter Five The Fair


Five - The Fair

 

Both camps broke before dawn. Everyone’s eagerness—well, most everyone—to get to the fair began to infect me too. As we went back to the road we passed a tree. There was the man from last night, looking small and perfectly harmless, tied up to it, his hands behind his back. I looked questioningly at Andrew, who was still heavy with sleep, despite a good breakfast of bread and turnips.

“He’ll be fine. We pass a small village in about two miles. They’ll send some of the King’s men back to deal with him” Andrews said.

“He seemed pretty scared of Walter. Maybe he thought Walter was gonna eat him.”

Andrew laughed. “No, we Lupus are vegetarian, Eric.”

I laughed back. Andrew said nothing more, staring down at the roads as we walked. The absence of his endless chatter of yesterday was noticeable.   “Are you alright, Andrew?” I asked. The others, in their usual way, were ahead of us by a few yards.

“A little sleepy just, sir. It was a rather eventful night, you must admit.”

“No, that’s not what I meant. Ever since we came off that path you’ve been…well, quiet.”

Andrew let out a hearty chuckle. “Oh my, and this has you worried? Not my rambling self? Huh, that is telling.” But he said no more as we kept walking.

“Is there something I’ve done or…?”

“No, no, sir. Look, nothing to worry. We’ll be in town tomorrow. I am just going over what I need to do, all the things I must ideal I with once we get there. I’ll get to hand in a report, pay off the fellows, and we can all have a good week.”

“What then?”

Andrew stopped and looked at me. “What then? Well I suppose Smit and Rake will end up drunk in a ditch and have to crawl back to Heatherstone by themselves. Walter and Jet might pick up work…who knows, those two always land on their feet.”

“And you?”

“Ahhh, yes, off to my burrow sir. I suspect that it must be getting many spider webs, unless Miss Elza has cleaned it, which I imagine she has not!”

“Is your burrow near the town? I’d love to visit it one day. Sorry, I didn’t mean to invite myself, but just perhaps stop by on my way back home.”

“Ah yes, well certainly, certainly. Although it is not so near, but yes, why not?” Andrew said in a tone that I recognized to mean that no no such thing would ever really happen. It was like when people off the mountain say “stop by and see us when you’re in town next” and they don’t really mean it.

As the day wore on the road got more and more crowded as we got closer to the town. For the first time I began to notice more rabbits but overall still very few. And more people began to interact with our group. The atmosphere was decidedly getting more festive. I began to get more and more excited. Andrew however, seemed to shrink in size with every step.

By evening there was no escaping the carnival feeling in the air. Even Andrew and Walter loosened up a little. Smit and Rake both eagerly told me that by mid-morning the next day we would be in town and “knee-deep in draught and fat farmer’s daughters.”

For the first time I was able talk to people outside the group. For some reason Walter and Jet, who still had not uttered a word to me, insisted on keeping near me. Unlike before, when the presence of Walter would scare people off, the larger crowd seemed to have more people who were not bothered by him. Perhaps as we neared the town we were encountering more worldly people who were used to the rabbits.

We stopped that evening just short of town, in a large open field that had turned into a make shift camp ground. Smit told me we were still a good walk from the town. I saw Andrew pay a small man at the edge of the field a few coins as we made our way through the open gate. It was the first time I had seen money here.

Our small group, now swallowed up by hundreds of people milling about, made our way to a far corner. This was more at Walter’s insistence than anything else. I think Smit would have dropped down in the smack middle of the camp. But he quietly agreed to come with us. I suspected that until he got paid he would play the role of the good servant.

 

Later, after we set down our goods in a small circle and set a fire, I was sitting, eating my now usual dinner of splinters and bread with Walter, Andrew, and Jet when what I assumed was one of Smit’s fat famer’s daughters sat down next to me. She was actually not fat, but really very pretty and fresh faced. She introduced herself as Penndeleppie.

“Penelope?”

“No, Penndeleppie,” she laughed a sweet laugh.

I smiled and introduced myself. I was feeling pretty special until she lowered her eyes and blushed a little.

“My friends and I,” she nodded over to a small knot of similar young girls, all of whom giggled when I looked over, “we were wondering if you were from Aquatine? Your clothes are so…odd”

My smile faded and I suddenly felt very self-conscious. “Aquatine? Um, no. I’m from Virginia.”

“Where is that?” she asked, confused.

By now Andrew had taken a half interest in the conversation. “Beyond Aquatine young lady, on the, um, coast,” he chimed in, a twinkle in his eye as he winked at me.

“Oh, excuse me sir. Sorry, I had no idea you were with… well, sorry to intrude.”

“No, it’s okay. You can stay if you want,” I protested, but she was already standing up.

“Nice meeting you, Mr. Eric. Maybe I will meet you at the fair,”  she said with a shy smile and with that she raced back to the group of girls, who all looked at her with expectant faces. She said something and their faces went slack and they all turned around and walked back into the crowd. Penndeleppie herself looked back and smiled but then hurried along.

Andrew must have noticed my confusion. But, as was becoming increasingly usual, his attempt to explain things only made me more confused.

“Yes, I had quite not thought of that!” I had no idea what he meant. “Walter and Jet, when we get to the fair you will take Mr. Eric here to get some suitable clothes so that he does not stand out so much. I will give you some coin for them.”

He then leaned in closer to me. “Eric, I had not wanted to say much about anything; I was worried that you might grow concerned but really there is no help for it. In the future it would be best if you were… cautious about telling people too much about yourself. I am a well-traveled Lepus, but I do not pretend to understand everything. The stream you crossed runs a while on the Blackberry border. It is a strange place, even for us Lepus. Very few of your type, people,  have ever come across it and none that I know of have ever gone back. Men here are afraid of those woods. They might mistake you for someone or something they are not happy to know. The lower the profile for you the better.”

“Well ok, sure. What sort of thing would they mistake me fore, exactly.”

“Oh, I don’t know, I am sure. A bandit perhaps, or…”

“Andrew, I know you said you’d never seen fairies or such here-“

“Or talking  scarecrows, don’t forget those!”

“Yes, or those, but, well, this is a strange place-“

“For you.”

“Yes, for me, but well, are there thing I need to worry about?”

Andrew studied me for a moment. “Plenty, but what, exactly, do you mean Mr. Eric?”

“I mean, like, uh, I dunno, witches, casting spells or magic…” I felt foolish even as I said it.

Andrew did not laugh, sensing my embarrassment, but he did smile. “Some people believe what they want to Mr. Eric, but no, no witches, no real ones anyway. There is enough danger and trouble in the world without inventing magical trouble too boot.”

“But, the bamboo, that all seems, well, if not magic, then plenty strange…”

“Yes, well ,that is why it is best not to speak of it. Well bless my stars if it isn’t Mr. Forth!”

I turned to see a large silver rabbit coming across the campsite towards us. Andrew jumped up and hopped over. The two rabbits embraced and fell into a deep discussion. Again, a thousand questions went through my mind, and the peace I had been feeling all day vanished, yet again.

Unfortunately, so had Walter and Jet. Suddenly I did not feel like being so social. I made my way back out to the edge of the campground and found a small embankment to lie down under. I put my quiver and knapsack under my head and looked up the stars, no more familiar than the previous night. Despite my swirling head I found myself drifting off to sleep.

I awoke to the pre-dawn sounds of camp breaking up. I walked around until I found Smit and Rake and soon afterwards Walter and Jet. Andrew was nowhere to be seen.

“Likely he and Mr. Forth went ahead to town,” Walter suggested. “Forth is another surveyor, so they probably are eager to get their report in. Come with us, Eric,” he said somewhat less gruffly than previous days, but still not with what one could call enthusiasm.

“Oh, come now, Mr. Walter. Rake and I can guide young Eric through the fair well enough.”

“Mr. Andrew gave Jet and I specific instructions to stay with Eric.”

“Suit yourself then. If you want to have fun at the fair, Eric, then find us.” And with that Smit and Rake melted into the crowd.

“Don’t worry about them, Eric. They’ll find Mr. Andrew fast enough to get paid.”

I smiled at Walter. I could almost feel the clouds lifting now that Smit had left. “Yeah, don’t’ worry yourself, Walter. The back of those two is better I think by far.”

“Now you’re thinking,” Walter grinned. I realized it was the first time I had ever seen him smile.

The three of walked for less than an hour and found ourselves on a small hill that overlooked the outskirts of the town of Williamsport.

The town was the largest I had ever seen, which I guess isn’t saying much. I had only really been off the mountain proper a few times and never to town. Mom and Dad sheltered me, I know now. And seeing this large town laid out before me from the vantage point of a small hill, it seemed to me like the biggest city in the world. Looking back I guess it wasn’t really that big.

A high wall surrounded a crowded center of the town, but outside the walls sprawled a larger tent city with hundreds of canvases stretched out. They were dozens of colors, some even striped, some patch work. Hundreds of people milled around them as hundreds more streamed down the hill on the road into town. Even beyond the tents were small stalls set up, and beyond them people had simply parked carts and were selling directly off of them. . It seemed the fair itself spilled out of the town around the broad front gate side.

 The town was built to last. The high walls went all the way around and a real-life castle in the center, although not exactly like the ones you see in fairytale books. It had towers at the corners and a large gate in the middle of the front, but the building was a simple affair, more of a large ox than a series of fancy towers. . It wasn’t very big but it was built to project strength.

The town’s streets were crowded, with stone houses taking up every available square foot, even leaning into the street. As I looked down the main street thought he gate I could see all manner of things being sold out in front of each house. It was as if each house doubled as a small shop. So one house would have plates and bowls, the next a selection of shoes and so on. I later learned the shoes were all just models and that if you wanted a pair the shoemaker would custom make you a pair. The houses on the main street were all set up this way, their prime location made them expensive so that only merchants and tradesmen could afford them. 

I didn’t go into the center of town right away. Instead Walter, Jet, and I got off the road and walked along the town wall where the colorful tents were set up. All sorts of goods were being sold, from produce and food to cloth and tools. Everything looked handmade; nothing seemed to come from a store like the ones we had back home.

I wasn’t sure when the fair had started, but all day I noticed more and more people coming into town. They seemed to be of all sorts: rich and poor, pale and dark and every shade in between. Most seemed excited and happy. In many spots performers had set up: jugglers, singers, and even a small stage on a cart with actors performing some pratfalls. If you can imagine something like a-county fair multiply that by 10 or more.

The people wore brightly colored clothes. The women were in long skirts, often festooned with color ribbons or they would have elaborate patterns sewed into the cloth. The men wore mostly trousers, mostly made of plain looking brown or beige cloth. But every so often a man would walk by in almost a costume, a gaudily color over shirt tucked into wide flaring pants of equally gaudy material. They would walk in small groups, often wearing gold jewelry or carrying intricately detailed and bejewel swords. Behind them were always a larger group of plainly dressed men, usually carrying baskets full of goods. Some of the these richly dressed men appeared to be selling, but most were buying.

Walter and Jet and I walked for a while, taking it all in. They seemed almost as amazed and curious as I was. I recalled they had been out surveying with Andrew for some years. Chances are they had not been to many markets this big either. We walked around, gazing at the wide variety of goods for sale. There were bolts of cloth; from plain to one so full of gold thread they sparkled in the sun. There was food, not just the many vegetables that I had seen so far, but all sorts of meat that made my mouth water, fished, hanging sides of beef, lamb and venison. Large pens of chickens and pigs took up some stalls. More than one vendor sold what seemed to be little toys, carved wooden figures that moved when you pushed in a small piece of wood, or balls of tightly wound string, wooden hoops painted in dazzling colors. I was pretty sure that one could have purchased almost anything one wanted, anything this world offered, at this fair.

Finally, after about an hour of strolling Walter cleared his throat.

“Alright Eric, we could wander all day but first things first. Andrew said you need new clothes. Between you and me, I bet we couldn’t dress a naked man, but I think Jet might be able to help. Look, there are a couple of tents with clothes in front. You two go on; I’ll get some rest outside.”

I thought it a little odd that he thought Jet, who had not said one word to me yet, would be of help. I guess he figured that a human was better help than a rabbit. So Jet and I ducked into a large green and white tent. Jet, being his usual talkative self, just shrugged and pointed to the lines of dresses hanging from strings tied to the ceiling. I smirked at him then saw an older lady leaning over a piece of clothing with a needle and thread.

“Excuse me.”

She jumped a little. I think I startled her—either that or my clothing really did seem odd.

“Crowds coming in sooner than I thought,” she said. “What do you need boy? Not a dress I suppose?” 

I bit my tongue. Back home I was old at 19; most of my friends my age had kids already. But maybe I seemed young.

“Uh, no ma’am. I need, um…” I turned to look at Jet for help, but couldn’t see where he was.

“Not from around here I’m guessin’ by the cut of those things. Let me guess, you need something a bit more.. in fashion? You have coin?”

I nodded. “Some, not endless. I just want something average…”

But she was off, looking through several small piles of clothing.

 “Something that might help you get a date tonight?” she winked and laughed at her own joke.

“Sure. Nothing too much, just ,uh, you know…,” I lowered my voice to a whisper, “normal.”

But the woman had already reached behind a barrel in the corner and gotten out a long green shirt and a pair of loose fitting brown pants. The shirt had some black embroidery work where the buttons met. It looked like a twist of black ivy was spilling down the front.

“Here you go now, sweetie. Fit for farming, hunting, and a roll with a farmer’s daughter. Won’t get you past the castle gate, but then again I don’t suppose you’re expecting that.”

“Uh, no. No.” I stood there awkwardly, not sure what to do next. The times I had gone with my mom into town to get Sunday clothes, we had tried them on in the store.

She stood there, the clothes still in her hands. “Anyways, it ain’t the clothes that are keepin’ the girls away I suspect. Here, try these on and if you like ‘em, they’re yours for a cheap price. Then you need to go out and have some fun. I think those tight clothes of yours are cutting off your circulation. Here, step behind the curtain there. I’ll fight off the gals!” she laughed again.

I decided pretty much right then that however they looked I would just get them and go. I did not want to hang out any longer than I had too. As I stripped down I felt a sudden panic rise up in me. I guess I realized that I was in this whole affair, the whole world, now for more than a lark. I was like a snake shedding my skin.

The clothes fit well enough. I can’t say I looked sharp, but I did feel like I fit in more. I stepped back out and noticed Jet standing in the tent’s entry. Walter’s big frame was outside.

Jet eyed me and smirked. “You look fine. Pay the woman and let’s go.”

I can tell you that as many shocks as I had had in the previous few days this was by far the biggest. Jet had not only spoken but, well, she had spoken! I am sure the look on my face conveyed every thought that flashed through my head. Jet looked back at me, rolled her eyes, and leaned out of the tent.

“For the love of heaven above, Walter! Did you forget to mention I was a girl?” she yelled, her eyes ablaze. A loud and hearty laugh came from outside. Jet ducked out of the tent and I could hear Walter give an ooff as if he had been shoved.

“It is not a rabbit’s job to tell men who the other men are. I can barely keep track myself!”

“Ah, go shove a carrot up your—”

“Jet, come back!” Walter boomed as she stormed off into the crowd. Walter turned around and poked his head into the tent. He wrinkled his nose then winked as the woman shot him a look.

“Pay her up, Eric, and be quick. Jet’ll cool off in a bit but I don’t want to spend all day looking for her.”

The woman named a price and seemed disappointed that I didn’t haggle. I had to remember that in the future.

Outside I felt noticeably better and cooler in the loose fitting clothes. I had wrapped up my old clothes in a bundle and shoved them in my knapsack.

“Never understood how you men cannot tell each other apart without so many disguises.”

“It’s kinda important, Walter. Isn’t it for Lepus too?”

“Ha! We rabbits can smell, you know. That’s all you need.”

“Well, how do I look?” I asked, holding my arms out to my sides.

Walter gave a quick snort, “Like a stuffed pig. Come on, let’s look for Jet before she beats up some guy for looking at her wrong—or worse, drinks him under the table.”


 

There the old man stopped for a while. Riley held his breath, waiting for the next part of the story, until he was certain that the old man had fallen asleep. The night was now dark. Faint sounds of a TV came from the living room where Riley’s mother, back from work, was fast asleep herself on the couch.

“Well!” the old man suddenly exclaimed, “time for bed I’d say.”

“But wait Paw Paw. That didn’t explain anything! Are you waiting for the Walter rabbit to come get you or what? Is that why you’re sitting here every night? Did you like Jet or something?”

“Boy, it’s late. And no, that’s not the whole story. There’s more; a lot more. And no, I did not fall for Jet. But I tell you what: there is more and there is a girl; a wonderful, amazing girl.”

“Who is she? Was she the farmer’s daughter, what’s-her-name?”

The old man laughed and gently pushed himself up.

“Good night, Riley. Not a word of this to your mom and I’ll tell you some more tomorrow night, okay?”

“Okay. Thanks again, Paw Paw.”

“You already thanked me for the knife, Riley.”

“Not the knife: the story.”

 


Next CHAPTER: coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment