Wednesday, December 10, 2014

The Hare, The Bow and the Girl - Chapter Six Archery


Six – Archery

 

The next night Riley’s mom was at work so he cooked up a pot of macaroni and cheese. He and the old man ate in silence in the kitchen. As the evening cooled off Riley and his great-grandfather went out to the porch. The old man settled into his chair. Riley sat down next to him, expectant. After composing himself for a moment the old man started talking again, as if he’d never stopped…


Walter and I met up with Jet halfway across the fairgrounds. She was watching an acrobat team performing. Walter slide up beside her and whispered something in her ear and she smiled. I stood off to the side, nervously shuffling from foot to foot. Walter turned back to me while Jet continued to watch the performers.

“Hungry yet, Eric?” Walter asked.

“Sure. Is there a food place?”

“I think over by the gate there were a bunch of stalls. Come on.”

I hurried to catch up to Walter and Jet, who had already headed off to find a bite to eat.

I tried to catch Jet’s eyes as they quickly walked along. “Look, uh Jet, I’m sorry…”

Jet glanced at me, rolled her eyes, and doubled her pace. I wasn’t sure, exactly, what I had done, but I thought it best to let sleeping dogs lie.

Once we got to the stalls Walter sniffed for a moment and then headed over to a particular stall that from my vantage looked like all the rest. Walter insisted that I try what looked like a soup made of grass.

“Leeks. You know of them?”

“Oh sure. We used to roast ‘em with potatoes.”

“Sounds nice, but taste this. It’s like my mother used to make,” he said with nary a smile.

I had to admit it was a wonderful soup, made with leeks, carrots, radishes, and a spice I couldn’t quite put my finger on. Anyway, it was a nice change from days of eating splints.

I was just about to ask about Walter’s mother when Jet sat bolt upright and looked out into the crowd. Walter saw the man well before I did, but I soon spotted what had gotten them so excited. It was the thief from the road. He looked sullen and beaten down but was walking free. He suddenly spotted the three of us and took off running the opposite direction. Walter started to get up but Jet put her hand out to block him.

“Just as well,” grumbled Walter and he sat back down on his haunches. “No sense causing trouble… not at least until we find Andrew and get paid.” He chuckled at his own joke. I busied myself mopping up my soup with a crust of bread that had come with the bowl.

“I just wish you hadn’t missed, Eric, and done his hand some harm” Walter said, his mouthful of bread.

“I didn’t miss, Walter” I protested.

“Come on now, sir! You got lucky is all. It was dark as the belly of a cat that night.”

“No it wasn’t. The moon had come out. You were asleep by then. If I had hit his hand all hell would have broken loose.”

“You’re telling me that wasn’t a lucky shot?”

“Been hunting with bow since I was five years old. Luck is for pennies and clovers.”

“Hmmph.”

“Okay, I’ll prove it. Name the target. I’ll hit it right now!” I had already gotten the bow off my shoulder.

Walter stood up and put his brown paw on my hand, “Easy, Eric. Remember what happened in the woods when you tried that?” He had a smile on his face but his hand was firm and insistent. “I don’t think folks would take too kindly to you losing an arrow in the middle of a fair.”

“Okay, okay. Fine. Smit said something about an archery competition?”

“Probably. Seems like there’s always one at least, at these things.”

Jet tugged Walter’s arm. She pointed to a field well off to the side of the main fairgrounds. “There,” she said and smiled at Eric. “Show us then.”

Multicolored banners sectioned off a large flat field apart from the rest of the fairgrounds. Set back and down the field were large bales of hay with bits of colored paper attached. These were not the bull’s-eyes I was used to, but it was clear enough they were targets. Several dozen people milled around, either sitting on the grass or standing under the shade of nearby large oak tree. Behind a small, narrow trench dug the length of the field stood about 20 archers. All had long bows, which I learned were the most popular kind although some folks did use crossbows and bolts sometimes but not, it seemed, in this competition.

There did not seem to be much organization. People were taking shots at the targets. After a few minutes one of the archers called out and the others put their bows down and walked to retrieve their arrows.

Meanwhile the spectators were more interested in looking at our party of three. Walter hung back. I looked at him with a question.

“It’s me, Eric,” he explained somberly. “Us rabbits aren’t known as good shots. We’re a little clumsy with the bow.”

“Well, I wished I knew that when we met!” I teased. That got a smile from him.

“Eric, go up to the man who called and ask him what’s going on. Jet and I will recline near the tree, maybe take a nap. Tell us when you hit something—on purpose.”

I had to laugh and made a rude gesture back to Walter and Jet as I walked over.

“Excuse me?” I asked the man as he came back to the trench. His clothes were decidedly a step up from mine, the cloth a nice shade of green trimmed with yellow.

“What ho?”

“Is this a competition?”

“No, we’re just practicing today, lad. You’re welcome to fit a slot towards the other end. Mind yourself and your arrows and it’ll be fine. If yer wanting to compete, that starts in the morning two days from now. Four crown to get in, 100 crown purse. You from a ways away I take it? Get a sight on who’s around. If you feel like you can carry your weight then by all means come back. I gotta warn you though: we take the bow very seriously in these parts. If ya been training with the likes of that,” he gestured over at Walter and Jet, “then you’re in for a world of hurt.”

To be honest, the truth of the place had not hit me yet, although I guess it should have by then. I was still trying to get the lay of the land as it were, but I could hear problems in the man’s voice. Walter, Jet, Andrew—even the somewhat sneaky Smith and Rake—had all been better than kind to me since I had gotten here. I am generally the congenial type, but people like me who lived up the mountain, were not too tolerant of snide comments about our company.

“I’d rather train for a hundred years with those types than suffer an hour with an idiot…,” I stopped short, suddenly aware that a few other of the people around us were listening in. “I am from a ways, mister. And where I come from we get to know a man before we judge him. Unless you got more advice I’ll be going off to shoot then.”

I know I was red from being steamed. I was confused, angry, embarrassed, and a little scared. I never was that good at reading people, not being around many growing up. I clearly had ignored a lot of signs and signals, but was not sure what to do. I was worried if I asked Walter about what had happened just then, the large grey rabbit would want to go rough up the guy. I decided to just let loose a few arrows and then go ask Walter to help me find Andrew. Maybe he could answer some of the questions that were bubbling up in my mind.

I found my way to the far end of the trench, about 20 people down from the man in green. As I laid my knapsack behind me an older man’s voice came from my left. I turned to see a fairly short man, almost as wide as he was tall, with, sure enough, a full set of whiskers. His grey beard ran down to this belt.

“Ignore him, boy. Reginald is a clown, a pompous ass who is mostly worried that people will find out he is the son of a tanner. Name’s Whisk,” he held out his hand. I smiled and shook it.

“Eric.”

“Pleased to meet you. Where you from?”

“Long story but not around here.”

“I suspected not. It’s a shame really, but most people around here don’t think twice about people like him. Heck, many folks around here think like him.”

“And how is that, exactly? Sorry to be blunt, but I can’t figure out what the deal is? I was kinda freaked out when I met the Lepus, but a lot of people here seem to be…”

“Resentful, scared, untrusting?”

“Yes, all those. Why?”

“That too is a long story. Just watch how you step, young master Eric, and you’ll be fine. Times are different now. Things are changing and people like Reginald think they have the upper hand. Now, you came to shoot, no? That’s a mighty fine bow you have. You any good?”

I smiled. You know I had not been boasting. I had been using a bow since I was five—heck, probably before that. There was something about setting up an arrow and then pulling back the string and letting the arrow fly. For the first time in days I felt calm and in control, especially after my run-in just moments before. I knew my bow and my arrows. It felt right.

I scanned the targets out at the other end of the field. I fixed on a small triangle of red on the bale nearest to where I stood. I turned to Whisk.  “After you, sir!”

He smiled. Despite his stature his bow was full sized. He smoothly pulled the bow back and let loose the arrow. It flew with a slight wobble and hit the bale of hay, just not a target.

I put my arrow in the rest of the bow and pulled back. I breathed in and let my thumb loose ever so slightly. The arrow, eager to fly, leapt from the rest, pushed by the string. It whistled cleanly in the air, gently curving as it fell back to earth, but not before coming to rest squarely in the middle of the red triangle.

Whisk let out a low whistle, “Not bad, Mr. Eric.”

I turned and bowed with a smile.

As the afternoon wore on I felt all the fear and strangeness of the past week melt away. Whisk left after a while. From time to time I would catch others in the line watching me as I shot. In turn I watched them to see, if as the man in green had noted, there was good competition. I was impressed with the others, but I felt that I had something they did not seem to have: instinct or walking aim. Hunting in the woods for my meals back on the mountain lets you develop a walking aim. It’s different from standing aim.

I took a break, going over to Walter and Jet. Walter was snoring gently while Jet sat beside him. She was carving on a stick.

“How long has he been out?”

“Too long. You finished playing yet?”

“About. I just want to try a few more rounds. I think I can do pretty well tomorrow. Say, you wouldn’t have four crown I could borrow? There’s a 100 crown purse. I know I can win enough to pay you back.”

Jet smiled, “Sure. Look, if you ever get done we can go find Andrew. You seem like a decent enough shot. I’ll spot you the four if he doesn’t.”

“Okay, let me go practice for another half an hour. Maybe by then sleepyhead will be awake.”

I had lost my place in the lineup and had to move toward the middle. I nodded hello to the man on my left and the one on my right. It took me a moment to realize the person on my left was actually a young girl. She seemed a couple of years younger than me. Like Jet she was wearing more of a man’s outfit instead of the large dresses with puffed sleeves many of the women had on. Her jacket cut tight on the arm, less likely to catch the string loosed from the bow. She was serious and focused as she pulled up her bow. Her hand and arm were steady as she focused on the target down field. I watched as she let go the arrow in a very fluid motion. The arrow landed on a green circle, finding the exact middle of her target. Only then did she turn my direction and kind of smirk.

Again, I bowed then turned back to my practice. I was aware she was watching me and for some reason her demeanor made me slightly nervous. Unlike the girls I had met at the campground she had a mature, serious air about her despite appearing to be a little younger. From her clothing to her bow, everything about her was nondescript but she stood out despite her plainness.

Her stare was a little unnerving. I let the shot go but it went wide. I put the bow down as I heard the field manager call all clear.

“Eric.” I held out my hand.

She took it and gave it a firm quick shake and then started down the field to retrieve her arrow. “Karn,” she said as she walked. “Your shot was wide?”

I ran to catch up her. “Uh, yes.”

“Sorry. Did I distract you?”

“Well, yes, sort of. But I guess that’s what I get for staring at you. You have really good form.”

She smiled as she pulled her arrow out of the target.

“I mean, you shoot well,” I stumbled.

“For a girl, you mean.”

“No, that’s not what I meant at all. I mean, you shoot well. And it seems like you have decent aim.”

She stopped on her way back and pointed to the target. “Decent aim? Did you see where that hit?”

“Well, sure, but you too long to aim.”

“Really? Too long? How long should I have taken?”

“No offense meant, but if you were hunting or trying to defend yourself you can’t stand around all day making perfect aim.”

We were back at the line. She laughed.

“I’ll be glad to take advice if you’d show me you can even put an arrow in the hay, Mr. Eric.”

I was still nervous. For some reason she was making the sweat drip from my brow. It was like when I was at a church social and spied one of the girls from down on the flats in their best Sunday dresses. But this girl, Karn, wasn’t like them. Those girls were silly; always laughing, trying to catch a fella’s eye. Karn had a confidence that was magnetic. Still, it was a mystery why she made me so self-aware.

I took a deep breath. Then I fluidly picked up the bow, unsheathed the arrow, loaded it, and let it fly. The arrow landed with a sharp thwap on the outer edge of a red square in the center of the bale of hay.

I turned to look at the girl. She gave another laugh that made me feel suddenly overheated.

“Well, okay, points for speed, but your aim is lacking.”

“True, but it would still have hit the deer.”

“Perhaps, or just glanced off of it; or worse, wounded it. You seem to be somewhat out of it I’d say. Why don’t we warm up a bit and then have a spot of a contest. I’d say you’re a little rusty after your trip.”

“Okay, sure. What makes you think I am not from here?”

She just smiled, gestured towards my entire body, and turned to take another shot.

I gradually become more myself as we took several rounds of practice. We did not talk much. She seemed focused and I was unwilling to break her mood. After a while Jet and Walter came up behind us.

“Eric, you done?” Walter asked between shots, sounding as if he’d just woken up.

“Just about.” I stepped back towards the two.

Karn turned around and smiled at Walter. “He’ll be done in a moment. I have to show him once and for all I am the better shot.”

“Really?” Walter laughed. “Eric, you still trying to convince people you know how to work that thing? Miss, I tell you he’s gotten off a lucky shot and thinks he’s the ace. If I were you I’d bet a little on the side, make a little extra.”

“Thank you, good sir” Karn answered all smiles. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

I noticed right away that Karn did not seem bothered by Walter’s sudden appearance, even as a few others beyond her gave the large rabbit second and thirds looks.

“Mind you, he’s broke… for now. Tell you what Eric: Jet and I will hop off to find Andrew and our reward. We’ll be back here to fetch you later. Of course, I am sure we will more than likely have to pay the lass a handsome sum.”

“Not likely”

Walter and Jet were already walking away. Walter shouted back, “You missed!”

“No, I didn’t, ” I shouted, half laughing. “Besides, your furry tail slept all afternoon; how would you know?” Walter made what seemed to be a rude gesture with his paw.

“Friends?” Karn asked, a smile on her face.

It struck me that I wasn’t really sure how to answer. Finally I decided, “Yes. I sort of fell in with them.”

 “Lucky. Not many people fall in with Lepus, you know.”

“Tell me about it. Walter only tried to kill me about a dozen times and not many were in jest.”

She started to laugh until she saw I was serious. “You are getting stranger by the minute, Mr. Eric.”

“Good. Perhaps I’ll match you eventually then.”

She seemed taken back somewhat. Although I said it as a joke I also half meant it. Maybe I sounded too harsh.

“How am I strange?”

My face grew hot. Karn huffed out a small puff of air.

“Look, let’s just do this, okay?” I said, to cover my impudence. “A point for each target hit; the one closest to the center gets another point. First one to…let’s say ten, wins.”

I let Karn go first and she let loose three arrows, all packed tightly around the middle of a green square.

“Not much room for me there,” I said as I loaded up an arrow. She smiled and held her hand out towards the target. With just a skip pause in between I let loose my three. There was a reason for the pause.

“So a point each then? How much for the leaf?”

“What leaf?” Karn asked, squinting at the target.

“One just floated in front of the target, so I stuck it to the top right corner.”

“How did you…?Ahhh, but it’s not on the target, so it’s three to two then, isn’t it? Plus I got closest to the middle so it’s four – two. The leaf is just luck,” she laughed as she went to the target.

“Oh Lord, not you too?” I said with a laugh. “Look, it isn’t luck.”

“Sure it is. You hit a leaf accidently. There’s no way you could have seen the leaf and aimed and hit it.”

“There is if you stop thinking when you aim.”

By now we had walked up to the target to retrieve our arrows.

“And how am I supposed to hit anything if I don’t think about it.”

“Instinct.”

“Instinct. Really? What about skill, precision, practice?”

“All important for the foundation, Karn,” I agreed. “Look, I know I said you were strange—”

“Forget it.”

“No, listen: I meant…I mean, I see something in you. You have remarkable skill with the bow. But you’re too formal, too stiff. You don’t hunt for food do you? You shoot for pleasure, not to survive.”

Karn stopped and looked at me. The day was getting longer in the field. A small breeze was picking up. She was used to dealing with people, reading them rather than listening to their words. She started to say something then stopped. Started again, then again a stop. Finally she said, “If you can stick another leaf then I will listen to you. If not, then you’ll shut up and watch me win at the tourney.”

“Deal.”

They walked back to the trench. Karn unshouldered her bow and quiver. She looked down at her bow, fiddling with the string where it attached to the top of the bow “It’s getting late and I have to be back within the town before evening bells, so if you don’t—”

“Done,” I smiled.

Karn stared with a kind of dumb expression at the target where my arrow had stuck another leaf, this time closer to the middle, but still shy of the red square.

“How did, I mean, when—?”

“Well, you said you were in a hurry and I saw the leaf falling. This is what I mean, Karn: I lack your grace and finesse, but I can hit the target even when I don’t have time to think about it. Tell you what: you teach me style and I can teach you instinct.”

A wide smile spread over Karn’s face. “Acceptable. Be here tomorrow at daybreak. I can’t teach you everything I know and I doubt you can teach me either, but we’ll try for a bit and then be ready for the competition. “

“Deal.”

“It was a pleasure meeting your, Mister Eric.”

“Likewise. Miss Karn,” She reached out her hand I shook it, and then I bowed again.

Watching Karn walking away from the field back towards town, I realized the evening was creeping up on me quickly and there still was no sign of Walter and Jet. I sat under the large oak tree to wait, thinking about Karn. I had never been in love before. I’d had crushes, sure, but never anything deeper than a chance to dance at a social. So I wasn’t sure exactly what I was feeling as I sat under that tree. I suddenly felt… possibilities. I felt them in a way I had never felt before. It was weird. It wasn’t a hot flush but really more of a cool breeze.

I was so deep in thought I didn’t even notice the two men who walked up to me.

“Well, living star…look at this, Rake!”

I snapped out of my daydream pretty quickly, “Smit, Rake.” I stood up, smiled, but decided it was best to remain on the defensive. I could smell their breath even from a few feet away. “Found Andrew I see.”

“Yeah. We did our part ‘n now we’re going to have a little fun. No harm in that, boy. You found a contest I see. You in, kid?”

“Sure, Smit. Why not?”

“Right, kid, don’t listen to the damn rabbits. You got a good shot there. “

I suppose he meant to make me feel better, but instead I just felt hot under my collar. Even in his state I guess he could sense my tension.

“Come on, kid. Rake ‘n I’ll show you the town, or fair, or whatever. Really, the best part is down that way. They have delicious cider ‘n some lovely ladies, if you ask me… or Rake.”

“Thanks, Smit; I’m waiting for Walter and Jet.”

“Think he’s her type, Rake?”

Rake let out a laugh and then coughed. His head bobbed like it was about to slip off.

“Listen bunny boy: those goddamn rabbits…you don’t know a horses ass about them, do you?”

“Look Smit, I think maybe you could go now, before—”

“Shut up, boy. I’m trying to save you a little…trouble. Least you can do is listen. Dem rabbits cause all sort of crap and trouble for the rest of us. They think they’re all high and mighty. They come in and take our jobs; worm their way into the courts and the councils and they ain’t done nothing to stop the stuff that came with them. Those monsters will end up destroying this place. They deny everything but you’ll see. You end up on their side and you’ll be on the wrong side. Save yourself a world of trouble n just back off” Smit had his finger stuck to my chest.

We all froze as we heard Walter loudly clear this throat.  “Smit, Rake…you found Eric. Good. Wishing him a good bye, I trust.”

Smit backed away, “Just some friendly advice and an invitation to have a little jig and a little jug, Mr. Walter.” Smit’s voice was laughing but his eyes, fixed on me, were hard. He turned around and gave a low, exaggerated bow to Walter, stood up and tipped his cap to Jet.

“So, we’re off then. Sure you won’t join us, Eric? Last chance. ”

The final words had an edge to them that made me more irritated than scared.

“No thanks,” I said as evenly as I could. As they left, going up the hill to find another pint, I turned to Walter and Jet. “What is his problem? He’s like some sort of Jekyll and Hyde.”

“Not sure who those two are,” Walter smiled, “but Smit’s problem is simple: he was born beneath his station in life—or so he believes. Never mind him. Here,” Walter handed me four coins, “we found Andrew. He sends you this for tomorrow.”

“Andrew did? Why would he??”

“He was very happy to hear you were entering the contest. Although I told him he was delusional, he seems to think you’re a good shot. He seems to think he’ll get his money back” Walter winked.

“I can’t take this. He’s done too much already: the clothes, food…besides, Jet said she would lend me the money.”

“Oh, that’s no good, Eric. Jet’s already blown her wages on dresses and tarot cards.”

Walter gave a slight oooof as Jet sharply elbowed him.

Jet smiled at me, I think for the first time since I had arrived. “ Take the money, Eric. Walter’s as blind as he is smelly. I know you’ll win first place. Then you can treat us all to a proper feast.”

“Thanks, Jet. A feast right now sounds wonderful. Point me to the food; I’m starving.”

No comments:

Post a Comment